Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Finally made it!

After a rough start to my trip due to the San Antonio icepocalypse of 2011 I finally got out of Texas after 7 1/2 years!  My flights to Seattle were both smooth and as soon as I got to there I was able to hook up with my friend Daniel Moffett at the USO.  We had been at Lackland together our entire careers and he was taking the same rotator as I was, but to Osan, Korea!

If you're not familiar with the USO it is an organization of volunteers that provide service for the military at locations around the US and overseas.  One of the most visible and appreciated services are the USO at airports.  The usually offer food and drinks, a place to store luggage, stuff like TV and Internet, and some even have bunk beds for people to sleep.  They're all staffed by volunteers and the really help when you're stuck in an airport all day!  Definitely consider it if you're looking for a volunteer opportunity!

Anyway, Seattle seemed like a very cool city, and although I didn't get to see much I know I want to get a chance to get out that way sometime in my career if I can.  Moffett and I got to take the train downtown and check out Pike market and Pioneer Square to get some dinner and a few microbrews!

The rotator out of Seattle was definitely the shortest flight over the Pacific I have ever taken; the other times I went I flew from Atlanta or Los Angeles.  Total flight time to Misawa was about 9 1/2 hours.  My new flight NCOIC met me at the airport and we immediately started in-processing and showing me around.  It snowed on and off all day and apparently that's how the winters go around here!

The new job seems cool, although I don't know exactly what I'm going to be doing yet.  I got a quick tour around the base and the town, and even looked at some cars and housing.  Today I start the base Right Start in-processing so I can get all my records straight.  I did manage to get a cell phone yesterday so now I have facebook all the time again!  The damn form was all in Kanji so the girl had to fill it out for me.  Definite sticker shock - my bill is almost double what I was paying in the states and I only get 144 free minutes a month!


View My Milblogging.com Profile



1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! What an enjoyable time looking through so many sites. It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !
    Search Engine Marketing|2012 NFL|Watch Live NFL

    ReplyDelete